Thursday 2 May 2019

Kern with subhelic arc in the UK


Berkshire (UK), 28 April 2019: Top left corner shows what's left after applying the gradient subtraction and stretching of histograms on a 38-frame average stack. Top right and bottom left, respectively, are with additional blue-minus-red subtraction and colour-channel enhancement. A HaloPoint simulation is included for reference at the bottom right corner.


While relaxing at home in the evening of a mostly cloudy day, a ray of light caught my eye and I checked the halo situation. In fragmented cirrus there was a mediocre circumzenithal arc (CZA) but not much more than that (my view towards the setting Sun is not that great). I took notice of the Sun being low in the sky so odds for Kern arc were on the rise: in the next moment I was setting up my DSLR to get some photos from my backyard.

CZA disappeared soon after I started shooting the first set of images, but it came back a few minutes later so I chose to do a re-run. Fortunately so, as the latter set turned out fruitful indeed in the post-processing.

The processed stack indicates presence of a faint Kern arc as an extension of CZA at the left. Slightly further to the left, there is a white arc that best matches the subhelic arc in the simulation. I think there is also a subtle suggestion of helic arc alongside of the subhelic, but this is less convincing. Furthermore, there are colored patches below the CZA approximately where 46° contact arcs would appear if there were Lowitz-oriented crystals in the mix. The simulation shown above is a synthesis of three distinct populations, including singly-oriented plates, singly-oriented columns, and Lowitz-oriented plate crystals.

7 comments:

  1. Absolutely first rate, congratulations Reima! I think both the helic and 46° contact arcs are definitely there and are VERY compelling. Indeed, with regard to the Kern, not only is there an extension of the CZA on the left hand side, I also see an almost complete circle, especially on the br processed image. You can even see where it touches the subhelic, exactly matching the simulation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Additionally, I also think the D-stretched version amplifies the very faintest details in the image extremely well and should be a regular tool in our image processing armoury. For the record, what colour space did you use in D-stretch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alec. Sorry for making you confused, but the post includes no D-stretched version. Lower left panel is just with enhanced colour channels using Gimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm very easily confused! Mea culpa!

      Delete
  4. Yeah, pretty much full circle there. I expect the next high cloud Kern come from Eresmaa again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its amazing the wonders of image stacking

    ReplyDelete