Monday 29 May 2017

Large scale odd radius halo complex on Memorial Holiday 5-29-17

About an hour before midday a layer of cirrus stratus clouds began moving toward the sun and I looked up and saw a colorful 22d halo and I noticed it looked doubled all the way around and looking close to the sun I saw weak 9d halo. I grabbed my camera and then it got spectacular. The 24d halo not only was bright it was sharp and complete and was my best yet to date. While taking picture after picture I saw a segment of a larger halo appear and it turned out the be 35d halo. As the clouds moved thru it peaked with a total of 5 rings the 9,20,22,24, and 35d halos and the 35d halo I got today was my best to date. This could be my best pyramidal display to date but who knows I could get better some day.



11 comments:

  1. Wow, those are impressive halos.
    I would have loved to watch this and burst images to stack them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicolas, I've been following your work on Flickr and notice that you have had some superb odd radius displays recently. Would you consider sharing some of them on Halo Vault? I'm quite sure our readers would find them interesting.

      Delete
    2. Hello there Alec,
      Thank for the invite on contributing on this blog
      I will consider sharing some of them in the next week, why not.

      Delete
    3. That would be tremendous. Could you please write me at thehalovault@gmail.com to discuss it? Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I don't have stacking software and yes this would of made an excellent display to stack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michael,

      For the stacking software, you can use Registax (best known for astronomy imaging) if the images are close to each other, like when you take several pictures with a tripod and a fixed field of view, close in time to each other.
      Other software is Iris, that Nicolas L. is using if I remember well, but you will need to ask him for more details.

      For my part, I'm also using ImageMagick, to combine/stack close in time (up to 30s) wide field of view image, in order to produce a timelapse on the total duration of the halo event, like there:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/gaukouphoto/albums/72157673779222930

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks buddy! I have finally got a display where I can not only see 24d halo plain sight but also the 35d halo which was easy naked eye visible

      Delete
  4. Great display, Michael! It seems, on several last photos there is a 20 column arc. What is the sun elevation on your photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure but put it this way the circuhorizontal arc was there.

      Delete
  5. I got another odd radius halo today with 9d halo, 18d halo, 18d plate arcs but it was not of good quality so I may not post this one

    ReplyDelete